Table of Contents
MLB All-Star Game Betting Guide
The 2023 MLB All-Star game commences Tuesday evening, featuring the best-of-the-best across Major League Baseball.
This year's rendition of the mid-summer classic takes place at T-Mobile Park in Seattle, with the American League All-Stars playing host to the cream of the crop in the National League.
This MLB All-Star Game betting guide will break down the latest odds, the best props to target, and top online sportsbooks offering promotions on the game.
How to Bet on the MLB All-Star Game
To bet on the 2023 MLB All-Star Game, you must register an account at an online sportsbook. All regulated US sportsbooks offer MLB betting odds along with incentives and bonuses for new customers. These generally come as bonus bets or bet credits back if your first bet doesn't win.
If you're new to sports betting or simply looking to test a new betting platform, you can mitigate risk on your first bet by signing up and claiming a bonus.
All you need to do is:
- Download a new sportsbook app
- Select “Sign Up” and verify a few quick personal details (name, address, phone number, SSN)
- Make your initial deposit and activate your welcome bonus
- Find MLB All-Star game odds and select the market you wish to bet on
Understanding MLB All-Star Betting
The odds and betting markets available for the MLB All-Star game are similar to lines you might see on any other night during the season.
The key difference is that players are routinely shuffled in and out of the lineups during the All-Star Game. This means a batter might only get one or two at-bats and a pitcher usually gets just one inning. Because of this, player props are generally minimal.
Types of Available Bets for the MLB All-Star Game
The most popular betting odds for the All-Star Game are traditional pregame lines. When you log into your sportsbook of choice, you will see these odds prominently displayed. Main baseball betting markets include:
- Run Line: A fixed line set at 1.5. If you bet favorites on the run line (-1.5), they must win by two runs or more for your bet to cash. If you bet the underdog on the run line (+1.5), you win your bet if the team wins outright or loses by just one run.
- Moneyline: The most simple MLB bet is the moneyline. This is a bet on which team will win the game. The amount they win/lose by is irrelevant, if you bet a team on the moneyline and they win, then you win.
- Run Total: The run total does not involve picking a side to win or cover the spread. Instead, bettors must wager on a fixed line (i.e 8.5) and decide if the combined run total between the two teams will go over or under that amount.
All-Star Game Analysis: A Recent History of the Event
Historically the AL and NL all-stars have been relatively equal. In 90 meetings, the AL has earned a slight 47-43 advantage.
However, recent history tells a very different story.
The American League comes into this year's game on a nine-game winning streak with their last loss dating back to 2012.
AL dominance extends even further. Since 1997, the American League is a whopping 21-3 in all-star games. Can the NL turn the tides beginning this year?
Also, from a betting perspective, even though the AL has been rolling back wins, the games tend to be very close. During their 9-0 run in recent seasons, no game was decided by more than 3 runs, and three of the last five contests were 1 run games.
Run line bettors beware.
Top All-Star Game Betting Strategies
Because of the constant subbing, pre-game betting strategies are often a bit tricky for the MLB All-Star Game.
Pre-game lines such as moneylines, run lines, and totals are all viable options. If you are looking to bet a player prop, MVP is probably your best bet.
Another MLB All-Star game betting strategy is to focus more on live betting. Since you will get a clearer picture of who is playing once the game has started placing an in-game bet is a great way to seize on some potential value.
Consider key trends such as:
- Head-to-head matchups (a batters numbers against a pitcher)
- Recent form of hitters/pitchers
- A players performance in past All-Star games
Top Sportsbooks to Consider for All-Star Betting
Unibet Sportsbook is a great choice for sports bettors looking to wager on the MLB All-Star game. The mobile app has some new features that have enhanced same-game parlay and live betting functions.
DraftKings Sportsbook is another top option. The app features one of the most expansive range of MLB prop bets around, making it a fantastic choice for pre-game and live betting on the MLB All-Star Game.