When betting on baseball, several key factors must be taken into account.
When sizing up the odds at your favorite online sportsbook, pitching is the most important variable. The game has changed over the years with starters no longer going as deep into contests. Because of this, you will want to research the bullpens as well since they are prominently featured most nights. Consider the following:
- The recent form of the starters
- Head-to-head results a pitcher has had vs. their opponent
- Home/away splits
Hitting is another key area bettors need to analyze. Questions to ask might be
- Offensive splits against righties/lefties
- Past head-to-head performances the lineup has vs a pitcher
- Recent production
Baseball is very matchup based, so considering how specific hitters in the lineup have performed against both starters and relievers is crucial, as is their performance in recent days and how they do against right-handers and left-handers.
Home vs. away records
As is true in most sports, teams generally have better home records than on the road (although there are exceptions). Not all home-field advantages are equal so weighing how important it is to a particular team goes a long way toward assessing a bet.
You can also consider streakiness as a factor. Let's say the Toronto Blue Jays are facing the Boston Red Sox. Toronto is just 2-8 in their last ten road games while averaging less than three runs per contest. Boston, on the other hand, has won five in a row at Fenway. Playing these trends is often a good idea.
- What is a team's record during their last ten games?
- How many runs have they been averaging over the last two weeks?
- Is there a key difference between their home/away results?
Getting to the bottom of these questions can ultimately put you at a distinct advantage and help properly handicap a game.