Just like they have been for the last couple seasons, the New York Yankees head into the 2021 Major League Baseball season as the favorite to win the American League Pennant.
But that has not gone as planned for the Bronx Bombers. In two of the last three campaigns, the Yankees have watched as two other AL East teams have gone on to the World Series: Boston in 2018, and Tampa Bay in 2020. To make matters worse, those two teams beat New York in the ALDS on the way to the AL Pennant.
It is now going on 12 years since the Yankees last made the World Series. In fact, since 2003, the Red Sox have won four pennants and four World Series titles (2004, 2007, 2013, 2018), the Rays two pennants (2008, 2020), while the Yankees have one pennant and one title (2009).
So the question needs to be asked, should the Yankees be the favorite with the futures odds (+230) to win the AL Pennant?
Gerrit Cole will get the ball Thursday against the new-look Toronto Blue Jays, who are the fifth choice with odds of +850 to win the pennant, just behind defending champion Tampa Bay (odds of +850).
This should be an intriguing contest, but the Yankees should be able to win this behind Cole.
MLB Opening Day Games Betting Info
- Toronto Blue Jays (+135) at New York Yankees (-167)
- Time and TV: 1:05 p.m. EDT, ESPN and Fubo.TV
- Potential pitching matchup: Hyun-Jin Ryu (TOR) vs. Gerrit Cole (NYY)
- Matchup to watch: George Springer (TOR) against Cole.
- Prediction: Yankees to win, -1.5
- Free Bets: William Hill ($2021), BetMGM ($600 bonus), Pointsbet Sports promotions for MLB Opening Day games