Esports Bookmakers in USA
The Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa casino in New Jersey took the first bet on esports (on the League of Legends championship). Sports broadcaster Howard Eskin gambled $100 on Team G2 to win the title. In 2016 William Hill sportsbook took esports bets as well in Nevada. American sportsbooks in NJ explore the opportunities to drive additional revenue from esports bets. Let’s see how many legal US sportsbooks will accept your esports bets, also online or via mobile in 2020.
While betting on eSports is legal in a few U.S. states, you will not find any land-based sportsbooks actually supporting cybersport bets in 2019. This means that U.S. bettors are wagering on the outcomes of the video games on the offshore online betting sites that cater to them. For example, BetOnline, Pinnacle, 10bet, BetDSI, Betway and more. This is a way to engage in eSports wagering if you live in the USA and is a way to earn payouts while supporting your favorite teams as they compete in action-packed eSports events and tournaments. However, we do not recommend you play with offshore and unregulated bookies as you risk to be cheated.
There are many esports sites wager on many different eSports and to even benefit from bonuses when you register. With trusted payment options (incl. Bitcoin, eWallets and Paypal) and many bet types available, you will find all the action you need for a rewarding and thrilling eSports betting experience at those not legal in the USA sites.
All of these eSports bookmakers offer live-betting options on multiple events and provide a complete schedule of future events so you can prepare your wagers in advance. Each of these unlicensed in the USA esports gambling sites has a stellar reputation in the industry for fairness and security, so as an American bettor, you can be sure to have a positive experience when you choose to wager online.
Before you start wagering on eSports at your local or online bookmaker, you will want to have a complete understanding of what cybersport betting actually is and what types of wagers can be placed. In the following articles, we discuss eSports, some of the most popular events, betting options and legality in the U.S. This provides you with information you will need if you wish to start wagering on this growing industry.
Esports Betting in the USA: Legal Perspectives
The U.S. is home to some of the largest gambling cities in the world and with land-based casinos, sportsbooks and even online betting now legal, residents have thousands of ways to engage in wagering on their favorite sports and casino games. When it comes to sports betting, there are many traditional options, but some may prefer the ability to bet on eSports. This has become quite popular in the U.S. and around the world, and there are many sites that cater to U.S. bettors, offering amazing eSports wagering options.
eSports have become so popular and widely accepted that they are now part of the Olympic Games. The International Olympic Committee held a summit in 2017 and acknowledged the growth and popularity of eSports, stating that this is considered a sporting activity. Players involved have to prepare and train in ways that are comparable to athletes that compete in traditional sports. You can expect to see eSports featured at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, which will be a great opportunity to engage in wagering on this exciting new sport.
The legality of eSports betting is something that can cause some confusion. The Supreme Court overturned he PASPA, which allowed individual states to offer legal sports betting. However, when the act was overturned, there was no specific mention of eSports. The result is that individual states have the right to deem betting eSports legal.
While most states that allow legal sports wagering will also support bets placed on eSports and events, there are certain states that ban this form of betting. Indiana is one state that has laws preventing anyone from betting on eSports and amateur youth sporting events.
Some states already offer fantasy gambling on eSports and many more are adopting laws that would allow for traditional sports betting as well as online and land-based wagering on eSports.
As many wait for their state to legalize betting on eSports, they turn their attention to offshore betting sites. eSports betting has become very popular, and it is believed that fans will be betting in excess of $23.5 billion by 2020. From this, operators of betting sites will generate around $1.8 billion in revenue.
What are Esports?
If you have heard of eSports but are not quite sure what is being referred to, read on to learn about this exciting betting option. eSports are also called electronic sports and they are a form of competition using a variety of video games. These games are usually multiplayer titles and take the form of organized competitions among professional players and teams. By 2010, eSports had become a major factor in the video game industry and a number of leading game developers started designing games that cater to eSports players.
There are many types of eSports games being played today, but the most popular are multiplayer online battle arena games, fighting games, first-person shooter titles, real-time strategy games and battle royale formats. Not only do players compete against each other for fun, but they also compete for their chance to win huge cash prizes.
There are many cash tournaments involving eSports and live broadcasts of these events. This is how many fans will be able to place wagers and also generate payouts while supporting their favorite eSports player or team.
U.S. States Where Legal Esports Betting is Allowed
Even though the Supreme Court ruled to overturn the PASPA, not every state in the country is on board with sports betting or wagering in eSports. At this time, there are just four states that have specific laws that allow for eSports betting. These include Nevada, New Jersey, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
Unfortunately, many U.S.states that do offer legal sports betting have not clarified where they stand when it comes to wagering on eSports and events. The answer to this will come as lawmakers determine whether they will treat eSports wagering the same as betting on traditional sports or separately. It should be noted that betting on eSports remains illegal in all states that have not yet passed laws for sports betting.
There are quite a few states that have not clarified where they stand when it comes to eSports betting. These states are:
- New Mexico
- New York
- Rhode Island
- Washington DC
Currently, the states on this list do not offer any form of legal eSports betting, though it may soon become available to residents as individual states amend current betting laws.
Popular Cybersports and Games to Bet On
As you plan to wager on eSports at leading betting sites, you will want to learn about the most popular games being played at present. New games are introduced each year, though some remain popular for many years. Different games will attract different players, so you will find certain titles appeal to professional gamers, while others attract the attention of casual gamers.
To have a good understanding of eSports and to have the best chance of placing successful online wagers, you will want to discover the most popular games being played today. Below, we provide the most popular eSports that attract spectators as well as gamers placing cybersport bets.
- Fortnite – This is a battle royale game that has become very popular over the past two years for its combination of FPS play and strategy. With more than 250 million registered users, this game has risen to the top of the list for eSports enthusiasts. This game is known to be quite profitable for top players and is an entertaining game to watch, which is why it is also a top choice when it comes to eSports wagering.
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive – Even though this game is seven years old, it is still one of the most popular eSports titles being played today. This first-person shooter game is played by millions worldwide. You can bet at Betway CS GO.
- Dota 2 – This may be the most popular game of all time when it comes to eSports titles and is one game that offers the highest payouts for championship games. This is a MOBA game that is known for high levels of strategy and teamwork. Originally released in 2013, Dota 2 has been called the best game of all time and is at the top of the list for eSports fans and players.
- League of Legends – This is another MOBA game that attracts millions around the world. The game is played in a similar fashion to Dota 2, and there is a high-pressure format that pushes teams to compete against each other in tournament play. This game is preferred by beginners and less experienced players as one will not require as much game knowledge as they would need in Dota 2.
Esports Betting Markets
Just as with traditional sports betting, there are different markets, or bet types, that can be placed when betting on eSports. The best betting sites will have great odds and payouts available, and you can even benefit from promotional deals that offer free cash or free bets. If you are just getting started with eSports betting in the U.S., you will want to become familiar with the different supported bet types you encounter.
- Moneyline – This is the most common and traditional type of sports wager to place. It simply involves choosing which player or team will win a match.
- Totals – When betting on eSports, titles are bets that are placed on a number of events that will occur in a game. The bookmaker will set figures and you will have to choose your wager to be over or under the set figure. This will vary per game. For example, with Dota 2 and League of Legends, the events will be kills and in CS:GO, the event could be rounds played.
- Proposition Bets – These are exciting betting options and are based on events to occur during a game or a tournament. These events could include who will win a map, which team gets first blood, or what team will slay the first Baron.
- Futures – If you are a close follower of eSports and know the different teams that are playing, futures betting may be a great option. With these, you will be betting on who will win future matches, tournaments, major events, or even league titles.
Esports Betting Recent Articles
Visit Esports 101