Table of Contents
Nevada Horse Racing Betting
Nevada law also allows for “account wagering” which allows residents to wager on sports and horse racing via phone or online.
Legal Horse Betting Sites in Nevada
- Atlantis Sports App by Atlantis Casino
- Bconnectedsports.com (Boyd Gaming)
- CaesarsSports.com (Caesars)
- CG Technology (CG Technology)
- Golden Nugget (Golden Nugget)
- PlayMGM.com (MGM)
- Nevada Race Books (South Point)
- STN Sports (Stations Casinos)
- TI Sports (Treasure Island)
- Westgate Superbook App (Westgate)
- William Hill Nevada
Because Nevada law requires that providers undergo the rigorous licensing procedures required by the state – a legacy of its drive to root out Mob-controlled gambling – major ADW horse betting sites that do business in most gaming states are generally not available in Nevada.
As a result many familiar names from the Las Vegas Strip are dominant online players in the state. Some of them are numbered above.
Nevada wagering account law also has been amended to allow Nevada residents to play online poker and casino-style gaming online. For liquidity purposes, gaming providers also pool with New Jersey and Rhode Island, which have similar laws on the books.
Nevada Horse Racing Gambling
Nevada became the effective gambling capital of the U.S. in 1931, when it legalized most forms of betting. But the Silver State – and particularly Las Vegas – has now morphed much more into a tourism destination as gaming has spread through most other states.
The state allows most forms of gambling, including casinos, pari-mutuel horse wagering and sports betting, It also has a law enabling wagering on eSports. Oddly, it has never approved a state lottery.
Nevada was briefly home to two thoroughbred tracks – Thunderbird Downs and Las Vegas Downs – but both have long since been turned into housing.
There are three horse race tracks operating in Nevada:
- Elko County Fair Board Thoroughbred Horse Racing – Elko, NV.
- Winnemucca Convention Center – Winnemucca, NV.
- White Pine Horse Races – Ely, NV.
- Thunderbird Downs NV (CLOSED)
- Las Vegas Downs Horse Track NV (CLOSED)
The state currently hosts two short fair meetings each summer in Ely and Elko that conduct racing for thoroughbreds and quarter horses.
But racing fans in Nevada have abundant opportunities to wager on races being run in other states, as many casinos have racebooks that simulcast races from nearly every out-of-state track.