Table of Contents
Legal Online Casinos in Illinois
Expected online casinos in Illinois in 2022/2023: BetMGM, Caesars, Fanduel, Draftkings and other casino sites for real money gamblers in Illinois state.
Current Gambling Laws in Illinois
So far, however, there is no legalization allowing for online slots or table games for real money in Illinois.
Timeline of Illinois Casino Legislation:
- 2013: Online gambling laws are considered for the first time
- 2015: H 4323 is introduced, which would legalize Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS)
- 2017: H 479 is introduced, setting out the legalization of online gambling, sports betting and casinos
- 2019: The Illinois Sports Wagering Act is signed into law by Governor J.B. Pritzker. Online and mobile sports betting is permitted throughout the state.
- 2020: The first legal online sportsbooks start to open. Online casinos are yet to be legalized.
Top Casinos in Illinois
- Casino Queen, St. Louis (DraftKings)
- River Casino des Plaines (BetRivers)
- Grand Victoria Casino Elgin (William Hill)
- Hawthorne Race Course (PointsBet)
- Par-A-Dice Casino (FanDuel)
Illinois has a fairly long history of land-based casinos. There is currently a mix of commercial and tribal casinos, many of which boast retail sportsbooks. Some have deals in place with online operators and would be poised to launch casino games. Casinos in Illinois with online partnerships (see above).
Potential Online Casinos in Illinois
- William Hill
*Future legal online casinos in Illinois could come from those sites mentioned above. Looking ahead, we’ll likely see the first Illinois online casinos coming from operators who already have a presence in The Prairie State. These operators also have deals in other regulated states like New Jersey.
Casino Games to Play in Illinois
In 2020, you can only play table games or slots at a local brick-and-mortar casino. Permitted games include:
- Video slots
- Video poker
Illinois Online Casino FAQs
Can I play online casino games in Illinois?
Illinois has yet to legalize online casino games like slots and roulette. However, the state is pioneering legal online and mobile sports betting, and it may open up its laws to include casino games in the future.
How old do I have to be to play casino games?
You must be 21 or over to play video slots or table games in an Illinois casino. You must also be 21 or older in order to place sports bets at a legal IL sportsbook.
Is mobile gambling allowed in Illinois?
Illinois gaming law allows some sports betting via mobile phone. You can place bets at retail sportsbooks in land-based casinos or through your smartphone at home. However, mobile casino games are not permitted.
Is online casino legal in Illinois?
No. As of 2021, online casino betting is not legal in Illinois. However, there are several land-based casinos in the state.