West Virginia has gone full steam ahead with legalized and regulated online gambling and casinos. It’s now legal for over-21s to play slots, table games, and poker online. Sportsbooks are now legal too in WV.
The Best Online Casinos in West Virginia are:
Current Gambling Laws in West Virginia
In 2019, West Virginia became the fourth US state (after New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware) to legalize online casinos. Daily Fantasy Sports, poker, and sports betting are also 100 percent legal in the state.
H 2934 – the West Virginia Lottery Interactive Wagering Act – made a fairly painless process through the state Senate. Operators must apply for a license at a cost of $250,000. The renewal cost is $100,000 every five years.
The first WV online casino, DraftKings, launched in 2020, and more are expected to follow. Gamblers must be aged 21 or over and physically located in the state in order to play games for real money.
Timeline of WV Online Casino Legislation:
- 1984: Lottery established in WV
- 1994: Video Lottery Terminals legalized
- 2007: Table games allowed at WV racetracks
- 2018: Sports betting is legalized
- 2019: Online casinos are legalized through the West Virginia Lottery Interactive Wagering Act. The state’s five casinos are allowed to apply for licenses.
- July 2020: DraftKings Casino is the first online casino to launch in West Virginia.
- August 2020: BetMGM Casino becomes the second online casino to open its doors.
- October 2020: NetEnt becomes first independent games supplier in West Virginia
Top Casinos in West Virginia
- Hollywood Casino (DraftKings)
- The Greenbriar Casino (BetMGM; FanDuel)
- Mountaineer Casino (William Hill)
- Mardi Gras Casino (betly)
- Wheeling Island Casino (betly)
West Virginia currently has five land-based casinos in operation. All of them have already made deals with existing sportsbook operators. Some of them have deals to provide online casino games.
Online Casinos in West Virginia
BetMGM and DraftKings are already open for online casino gamblers in West Virginia. But who could join them? Here are some of the casino giants we expect to launch in WV in the near future?
Casino Games to Play in West Virginia
West Virginia’s new online casinos have raced ahead with offering slots and table games. BetMGM WV offers the biggest selection of titles and features games like slots, roulette, blackjack, and progressive slots. However, the range of casino games is growing at both WV sites.
- Online slots
- Progressive slots
- American Roulette
- European Roulette
West Virginia Online Casino FAQs
Yes. Legal casinos in West Virginia offer download apps for Android and iOS devices that let you gamble for real money. The apps use geolocation tools to ensure you are in WV when you play.
Right now in West Virginia, there are five main online casinos for you to bet with: BetMGM WV, Draftkings Online Casino West Virginia, FanDuel Casino, Golden Nugget Casino, and William Hill Casino. More should be coming in the future.
Yes, West Virginia requires backup withholding in certain situations when federal withholding is also required. Check here with this official PDF from the state of West Virginia to see if your winnings are exempt from tax.
Yes, you can! Legal in WV casinos offer real money table games and progressives slots.
You must be aged 21 or over to log in and play slots or table games online. You must be physically located within WV borders when you sign in and play games for real cash.