However, the current legislation doesn’t factor in online slots or table games. For now, Iowans cannot play their favorite roulette and progressive slots online for real cash.
Current Gambling Laws in Iowa
There are currently no laws regulating online casinos in Iowa. However, like many states, it is possible to bet on sweepstakes games through sites like Chumba Casino.
Sports betting was legalized in 2019 as Iowa joined states like Tennessee and West Virginia. You can now place bets legally online as long as you have a valid gambling account.
Although a little irritating for real money gamblers, Iowans must register their sports betting accounts in person at a retail sportsbook. There is no way of opening an account online.
Timeline of Iowa Online Casino Legislation:
- 1985: Lottery is made legal in Iowa
- 1989: Land-based casinos are legalized. Iowa becomes the first state with legal riverboat casinos
- 1991: Tribal casinos get the go-ahead for brick and mortar casinos
- 2019: Online sportsbooks and Daily Fantasy Sports are legalized as Gov. Kim Reynolds signs SF 617 into law. Over a dozen retail sportsbooks begin accepting bets straight away
- December 2019: Over half a dozen online sportsbooks become active
Top Casinos in Iowa
- Horseshoe Casino Council Bluffs (DraftKings)
- Harrah’s Council Bluffs Casino & Hotel (DraftKings)
- Wild Rose Casino (BetRivers)
- Lakeside Hotel & Casino (William Hill)
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, Sioux City (GiG/bet365)
- Catfish Bend Casino (PointsBet)
- Ameristar Casino-Hotel Council Bluffs (DraftKings)
- Grand Falls Casino & Golf Resort (Betfred)
- Diamond Jo Casino (FanDuel)
Iowa has over 20 commercial and tribal casinos offering slots and table games at a range of stakes. All of Iowa’s casinos can provide retail sportsbooks accepting real-money sports bets.
You must register for a sports betting account in person at a participating casino. This stipulation is expected to be in place until 2021.
Major casinos in Iowa include (with online partners) – see listing of the sites/apps above.
Legal Online Casinos in Iowa*
Some of the biggest gambling operators are already active in the legal Iowa sports betting scene. Operators like DraftKings and FanDuel are well placed to launch online casino games if the law changes.
- BetMGM Online Casino IA
- 888 Iowa Casino
- William Hill
Casino Games to Play in Iowa
You’ll find a typically wide range of games and slots to play at Iowa’s many land-based casinos. Table games include blackjack, American Roulette, and craps, as well as local specialties like Cajun Stud and Emperor’s Challenge Pai Gow Poker.
- Video slots
- Progressive slots
- American Roulette
- Cajun Stud
- Three Card Poker
Iowa Online Casino FAQs
Can I play online casino games in Iowa?
Unfortunately not. The new gambling law in Iowa only covers mobile and online sports betting. However, players are still holding out for legalized casino games to appear online in the future.
How old do I have to be to play casino games?
You must be aged 21 or over to visit a land-based casino in Iowa. When the first online casinos launch in Iowa, the legal age is likely to be 21 as well.
Yes. You can now legally make sports bets on your mobile phone by downloading a licensed app and registering in person at a partner casino. You must provide personal details and prove your age.
Online casinos are legal in Iowa. Your best bet is to conduct the proper research to determine what online casinos are right for you.