Current Gambling Laws in Florida
In 2020, the state lottery and land-based cardrooms are 100 percent legal. You can also play casino games at several tribal casinos across the state, all operated by the Seminole Tribe.
There have been strong moves in the Sunshine State to legalize sports betting, particularly through efforts by Sen. Wilton Simpson and Sen. Jeff Brandes. Under the proposals, legalized sports betting would be run by the Florida Lottery. However, in 2020, the bill has gotten nowhere.
Timeline of Florida Online Casino Legislation:
- 1986: State lottery in Florida is approved and launches two years later
- 1989: Small-stakes home poker games are legalized
- 1996: Poker legalized at pari-mutuel rooms
- 2010: Tribal casinos given exclusive rights to spread video slot machines and casino card games
- 2019: Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino sites in Tampa and Hollywood are expanded
- 2019: Sports betting bills introduced and rejected in state Senate
Top Land-Based Casinos in Florida
Florida has a small pocket of tribal casinos and some cruise ship casinos. Tribal casinos are concentrated in one or two areas and run by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. Each casino boasts table games, some poker, and slot machines.
Other casinos like the Big Easy Casino combine some poker with greyhound racing and slots. However, under the exclusivity deal for the Seminoles, these non-tribal casinos don’t offer slots.
- Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tampa
- Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Hollywood
- Seminole Classic Casino Hollywood
- Seminole Brighton Casino
- Seminole Casino Coconut Creek
- Seminole Casino Hotel Immokalee
Potential Online Casinos in Florida
Legal online casinos in Florida seem a long way away. There is fierce opposition by the Seminole Tribe, and senators are unable to even push ahead with legalized sports betting.
But if online casino gambling was ever legalized in the Sunshine State, who would operate? Certainly, one or all of the following: see list of the casino sites/apps in Florida above.
Casino Games to Play in Florida
Tribal casinos in Florida spread a wide array of table games, slots and poker. You can play Hold’em or Omaha in poker rooms in cash and tournament settings, or spin progressive slots for a multi-million dollar prize.
Florida Online Casino FAQs
Can I play online casino games in Florida?
No. Currently, online casinos are not legal in Florida. You can play in half a dozen tribal casinos or play poker in live cardrooms and for small stakes at home.
How old do I have to be to play casino games?
You must be aged 21 or over to play table games and slots in Florida casinos.
No. As of 2021 there is no legal mobile casino gaming in the state of Florida.